Friendly Visiting Program
“One of the things you can give and it will not cost you any money is friendship.” Catherine Pulsifer
Our Friendly Visiting program provides companionship for seniors or adults with disabilities. There are two options available.
One-to-One Matched Option:
Our program staff match volunteers with clients based on their common interests. The volunteer then arranges the visits with their matched client. The commitment is only a 1- 2 hours per week and at their mutual convenience and location. Visits can occur in the client’s home or for example, a trip to a local coffee shop or spent sharing activities, playing cards, taking walks, doing crafts; or most often, just enjoying a pleasant conversation.
We have social groups operating throughout Northumberland County. Men’s and Ladies’ social groups are casual coffee groups designed to bring senior men and senior women together for conversation and fellowship. Occasionally guest speakers or special trips are organized. We also operate hobby/recreational based social groups in some areas.
In Brighton - For more information, call 613-475-4190
- Cards and Games Group - "Time For Us" (*) - CCN’s Activity Room in Brighton - Thursdays - 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Indoor Walking Club (*) - East Northumberland Secondary School - Mondays to Thursdays - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- Ladies Group – “The Buzz” (*) - CCN’s Activity Room - 2nd & last Tuesday of each month from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- Men’s Group - CCN’s Activity Room- Thursdays - 10:00 am – 11:30 am
In Cobourg - For more information, call 905-372-7356
- Ladies’ Group - Halcyon Place - Wednesdays - 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Men’s Group - Cobourg Retirement Residence - Tuesdays - 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
In Colborne - For more information, call 905-355-2989
- Ladies’ Group - CCN’s Activity Room - Tuesdays -1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Men’s Group - CCN’s Activity Room - Tuesdays - 10:00 am – 11:30 am
In Campbellford - For more information, call 705-653-1411
Men’s Group - CCN’s Activity Room - Every second Friday 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
In Hastings - For more information, call 705-696-3891
- Knitting Club - Hastings Civic Centre - Thursdays - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Line Dancing (*) - Hastings Civic Centre - Wednesdays -10:00 am – 11:00 am
In Port Hope - For more information, call 905-885-9860
- Mens' & Ladies Group - "Reflections" - Roseglen Village for Seniors - Tuesdays - 10:30 am to 11:30 am
Benefits of this Program:
- Friendly visitor volunteers are pre-screened and are matched to clients based on mutual interests
- Added social activities giving the opportunity to meet and spend time with new people
- Lasting friendships can be formed
- No cost to participate in the one-to-one option
- Free or nominal fees (*) to participate in group options
- Transportation may be available for group activities if requested in advance.
Program costs may be eligible for an Enhanced Rural Living Subsidy, see more information about this subsidy program by using this link here.
For more information about the Friendly Visiting program, contact your local Community Care Northumberland office or start the process by completing an Information Request Form.