Friendly Visiting Program
“One of the things you can give and it will not cost you any money is friendship.” Catherine Pulsifer
Our Friendly Visiting program provides companionship for seniors or adults with disabilities and this is accomplished either by matching them individually which is one-on-one with a volunteer at the client’s home, or in a group social setting.
One-to-One Matched Option:
Our program staff match volunteers with clients based on their common interests. The volunteer then arranges the visits with their matched client. The commitment is only a 1- 2 hours per week and at their mutual convenience and location. Visits can occur in the client’s home or for example, a trip to a local coffee shop or spent sharing activities, playing cards, taking walks, doing crafts; or most often, just enjoying a pleasant conversation.
We have social groups operating throughout Northumberland County. Men’s and Ladies’ social groups are causal coffee groups designed to bring senior men and senior women together for conversation and fellowship. Occasionally guest speakers or special trips are organized. We also operate hobby/recreational based social groups in some areas.
Benefits of this Program:
- Friendly visitor volunteers are pre-screened and are matched to clients based on mutual interests
- Added social activities giving the opportunity to meet and spend time with new people
- Lasting friendships can be formed
- No cost to participate in the one-to-one option
- Nominal fee to participate in group options
- Transportation may be available for group activities if requested in advance.
For more information about the Friendly Visiting program, contact your local Community Care Northumberland office or start the process by completing an Information Request Form.