Family Caregiver Day
The Ontario Caregiver Coalition celebrated Ontario’s first annual Family Caregiver Day on April 4th.
- There are over 3 million unpaid caregivers in the province, providing support to loved ones facing illness, disability or challenges associated with aging.
- Family Caregiver Day is a chance to recognize, celebrate and bring awareness to the value of caregivers to Ontario’s families, health care system, and economy.
Who are Ontario’s caregivers?
This year, the Ontario Caregiver Coalition is highlighting three generations of caregivers:
- Young carers: Over 500,000 family caregivers in Ontario are between 15 and 24 years old. There are many caregivers who are even younger.
- ‘Sandwich’ generation caregivers, who provide care for both their aging parents and their own children.
- Elderly caregivers: Nearly 375,000 caregivers in Ontario are 65 years or older.
It's not too late:
- Everyone is invited to sign our digital thank-you card to Ontario’s caregivers by visiting www.ontariocaregivercoalition.ca