Ed's House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre is OPEN
For questions or inquiries please call 1-855-473-8875
What is a Hospice Care Centre?
With the Hospice Care Centre, Community Care Northumberland will be able to offer a new kind of care to the communities it serves, with services ranging from palliative and bereavement to caregiver support and community education. Building on the volunteer visiting services CCN has offered since 2010, and the Palliative Care Community Team started in early 2017, the Hospice Care Centre will allow the community to offer a comprehensive suite of end of life services.
Community members looking for information about the Hospice Centre project or who wish donate as part of the project, are encouraged to contact Jaclyn Agueci - Donor Relations Associate at 1-905-885-0466.
Previous News Releases
- Site Selected for Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Hamilton Township
- Campaign Leadership Announced for Hospice Care Centre Building - Veteran volunteer duo Gord and Patti Ley to lead Hospice campaign
- Northumberland Hospice Care Centre Honouring the Journey Begins with over $1.1 Million Raised Northumberland Hospice Care Centre Capital - Campaign launches with early leadership pledges to almost 23% of private fundraising goal
- Community Care Northumberland Names Lynda Kay as Campaign Director Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Kay Brings 28 years of funding raising experience to the capital campaign.
- Ontario Opening New Hospice in Northumberland - 1.2 Million Dollar Commitment to Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Hamilton Township
- Read Elliott Family Foundation Donates One Million Dollars to Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Cobourg
- The Northumberland Hospice Care Public Campaign Launches with a Goal of $9,300,000 - Hamilton Township
- Ed and Diane Lorenz Name Northumberland Hospice Care Centre "Ed's House" - Cobourg
- Smile Cookie Campaign Results - Cobourg / Colborne/ Port Hope
- Tender for Ed's house Northumberland Hospice Care Centre To Be Released in January - Hamilton Township
- Ed's House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre Tender Documents Submitted for Approval - Port Hope
- MPP Piccini Announces Final Approval for Ed's House, Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Hamilton Township
- CCN Breaks Ground for Ed's House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre - Hamilton Township
Important COVID-19 Updates
Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre Celebrates Ribbon Cutting
.Hamilton Township, Ontario - September 3rd, 2020
Community Care Northumberland celebrated the opening of Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre today with a ribbon cutting ceremony at the centre, located at 1301 Ontario Street in Hamilton Township.
Deputy Premier of Ontario and Minister of Health, Christine Elliott, joined Community Care Northumberland staff and board members, MPP David Piccini, local dignitaries and project leaders to acknowledge the opening of Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre. The new ‘hospice hub’ in Hamilton Township will provide care and support to hospice clients and their loved ones and expand Community Care Northumberland’s hospice services to include resident care.
“With the opening of Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre, more people in Northumberland will receive compassionate, end-of-life care closer to home,” said Elliott. “Thank you to the incredible team at Community Care Northumberland on this incredible accomplishment. Ed’s House will create a comfortable space for residents and their loved ones receiving palliative care. Together, we will create a connected health care system where people are fully supported throughout their entire health care journey.”
“I am proud that our Government is expanding high-quality palliative and end-of-life care in rural communities like Northumberland, to help more patients and families access the compassionate and comprehensive care they deserve closer to home,” said MPP David Piccini. “Thank you to Community Care Northumberland, the Building Committee, the Campaign team, the volunteers, donors and community volunteers for their hard work in making this project a reality.”
“Today we celebrate years of planning, collaboration and hard work that have made this new hospice centre a reality,” said Stephen Beauchamp, Chair of Community Care Northumberland’s Board of Directors. “The home-like setting and comprehensive suite of services offered at Ed’s House will have a positive, meaningful impact on many hospice residents, clients and their loved ones in the community.”
“The ongoing support we have received from the Ministry of Health, our partners, donors and community members has been nothing short of extraordinary,” notes Trish Baird, Chief Executive Officer of Community Care Northumberland. “Ed’s House meets the need for local resident hospice care and we are thrilled to provide this service, in addition to our existing hospice services, to individuals and their families based out of this beautiful, state-of-the-art centre.”
Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre, designed by Barry Bryan Associates (BBA) and built by Dalren Limited, will provide 24/7 comfort and care to hospice residents on the main level, as well as education and support services to residents, clients and their families on the lower level. Operating costs will be partly funded by the Ministry of Health, with donations and fundraising covering the remainder of costs, allowing all services to be offered at no cost to those receiving them. Launching in the near future, the Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre
Foundation will seek support to offset these costs. Ed’s House is expected to admit its first residents at the end of the month.
- 30 -
Community Care Northumberland is a multi-service, volunteer-based support organization in Northumberland County. By connecting our clients with our community resources, CCN makes it possible for them to experience a higher quality of life. From Meals on Wheels to Friendly Visits to Community Diners to Transportation to Hospice Palliative Care to Home Support, CCN offers services that cover the needs of our client base. In doing so, staff, partners and volunteers maintain trust, dignity and respect for one another and our clients. This enables us to maintain our high standard of service to our Northumberland communities. www.commcare.ca
Ed’s House Northumberland Hospice Care Centre is a new hospice centre featuring ten suites – six operational upon opening and four future when funding becomes available – opening in the fall of 2020. Led by Community Care Northumberland, the centre will act as a centralized ‘hub’ for CCN’s interdisciplinary hospice services team by providing caregiver support, palliative outreach and education, health system navigation and grief and bereavement support in addition to resident hospice care. Ed’s House will be a comfortable setting to receive palliative support from early family engagement and beyond at no cost to hospice clients and their families. www.northumberlandhospice.ca